So, I have been on my wash and go kick. I have been really enjoying them this time around@
It seems like the more I do them, the more I love them, and the easier it gets!
My experience with wash and gos have been an up and down battle. Somehow I have been able to move forward and find a method that I am addicted to. I love it so much, I am thinking about doing nothing but wash and gos until the end of the year. (more on that later) 🙂
Here are my steps to achieving my perfect Wash and Go For Tight Curly Hair
- Shampoo or co wash my hair thoroughly
- Deep conditioning/hot oil treatment
- Thoroughly Detangle my hair
- Add Conditioner (Herbal Essence Hello Hydration) – Add product in sections, making sure to cover each strand, especially the roots where tightly curly hair knots up. From my personal experience adding product thoroughly to the hair decreases knots and tangles. I usually finger comb to get the product all over the hair. You can do bigger sections this way, and not take tiny sections that will increase the styling time. It’s not about defining the curl, it’s about making sure product is evenly distributed.
- Add my styling gel (Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel) – Again, add product in sections, making sure to cover each strand.
- Blow drying! Once my hair is completely dry it will last until for 5-7 days without re wetting. I don’t use any attachment. I hang my head upside down and begin to dry my hair. I do upside down, so that the curls on top are not disturbed. I don’t mind a little frizz, because it gives me more volume and the bigger hair we all love! I have low porosity hair. My hair literally stays wet for 24 hours. This is no joke! This is usually where my wash and go fails. I usually have to go to bed on wet hair. In the morning, the curls are crammed up, and knotted together. I then have to re wet my hair. This becomes a daily process which defeats the purpose of low manipulation styling that you should get from a wash and go.
This entire process from the shampoo to the blow drying takes a little over an hour. I use about 30 minutes to deep condition, 10-15 minutes to add product, and about 15-20 minutes to blow dry.
I maintain my wash and go at night by using the pineapple method. In the morning, I add a little oil, shake and go!
Who said us coily heads can’t do wash and gos!?!?! I am quickly changing my opinion on the wash and go for my tight curly hair! 🙂
Most people with tight coils like me are afraid of the wash and go, because tangles can be scary. I’ve battled wash and gos because of that reason. The key for my hair is making sure the hair is fully detangled before styling, and product. Product is not key for growing hair, but it is key for styling. Find the right product for your wash and gos, and make sure to apply it thoroughly.