So, not sure if it is the best, but this routine truly changed the way my hair looked and also made a difference in my hair’s overall health!
I’ve done my deep conditioning/hot oil treatment on both wet and dry hair. I don’t really have a preference, but normally do my treatment on wet hair, because I like to shampoo first.
Step 1: I do a light finger detangling, and then shampoo my hair.
- I like to clean my hair first with a sulfate shampoo. I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. Some do it afterwards, but in my mind I would just be taking out all of the oils I just added from my deep conditioning/hot oil treatment.
Step 2: I add a generous amount of regular rinse out conditioner to my hair.
- I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
Step 3: I add a generous amount of oil to my hair.
- I use extra virgin olive oil
Step 4: I cover my hair with a plastic cap or bag.
Step 5: I sit under a hooded dryer for about 15-30 minutes.
- This heats the oil and conditioner. The heat also helps to open the cuticles of the hair so that the oil and conditioner can be absorbed into the strands. I have low porosity hair so this is very important.
- If you like, you can heat the oil in a microwave. Once you have added the conditioner and oil to your hair, put on the plastic cap or bag. You can wrap a warm towel around it and let it stay on for a few hours or overnight.
Step 6: Rinse the conditioner and oil out of the hair. I usually have to add a little rinse out conditioner to rinse the oil out. I don’t mind leaving a small amount of conditioner and oil in my hair.
Step 7: I add my leave in conditioner and style as normal.
I have used this method for over half of my journey! This has made my hair soft and manageable. My hair also has a beautiful shine that developed over time. This is a must for my hair regimen